Monday, September 17, 2012


September 17, 2012
Estimation Jars

I have done this for several years now and the kids love it!  Because I have two math classes, I use two jars.  During the first week of school, I send home a letter about the estimation jar.  I fill the jars for the first round.   I filled each jar with Hershey kisses.    At back to school night, each child's parent takes a guess.  On that Friday, I tell the students which parent was closest to the actual amount in the jar.  Their child wins the jar.  They have to share the candy with students in class.  They then get to take the rest home.  In turn, they have to fill the jar over the weekend.  They bring it in Monday, tell me the amount, fill in their estimates by Friday, and on Friday, they get told who, again was the closest.  Each child, depending how many in your class, will get a turn to win and fill the jar.  Some of the items that the jars were filled with were candy, breakfast bars, wishing stones, pennies and RICE, believe it or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment