Thursday, March 13, 2014

 Week of March 10th, 2014

Wow!  First FULL week in some time.  But we made it!  When I think we are finally getting back to the school routine, guess what?  We are having Terra Novas next week~~~ughh!!


But we did have a fun week!!

We are studying the Nervous System now and we participated in a lab that involved our reflexes.  The students took several different trials of how fast they could catch a ruler when dropped by their partners.  They had to record their results.  They then had to come up with what they had to use in order to catch the ruler.  Ex. eyes, ears, fingers.





I just loved what we did today.  We made edible spinal cords!  I know, I know, eww, you are thinking.  But if you ask the kids, not only did they like making them, they enjoyed eating them.  


The ingredients we used were a coffee stirrer, gummy lifesavers,and cheerios.  
To construct the spinal cord, we took the coffee stirrer and bent in at the bottom so it would hold the items. They then  added a cheerio and then lifesaver.  I think we put 8 of each on the stirrer.  

This was a great interactive activity, but I would change one thing.( a mom gave me this idea..)  instead of the stirrer, I would use a piece of shoestring licorice.  Then it can be totally edible!!
Happy campers ready to eat!

Proud of their spinal cords!


Busy constructing their spinal cords

They want to get it just right!


This is a good visual of what they turned out to be


When ended our day with a well deserved hot chocolate party.  This was an idea that Isabella actually gave to me.  Thanks Izzy!  :~))  I liked it so much, I decided to do it with both classes.  In the picture below, I made a cup cutout.  I attached a baggie to it, and hung it on the front board.  when my students had some good behavior, they earned some marshmallows.  They watched as the marshmallows came closer and closer to the top of the cup.  I decided to give them the party today, because it was so cold.  Hopefully this will be the last cold day!!  Brrrrrr!!!!  Everyone enjoyed a cup of hot chocolate after math class!





No comments:

Post a Comment