Thursday, October 10, 2013

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Today was so much fun in Social Studies!  Since we have been studying the continents, equator, and prime meridian, I wanted to wrap the unit up with a fun activity.

 I had each student bring in a large orange or grapefruit.  Clementines would be too small.  Each child had a sharpie to work with along with their orange.  On the SmartBoard I put up a picture of the world.  Working together, I had each child locate on their orange  the equator, Africa, etc.
 It was fun!  My students really enjoyed locating these points of interest
It made them aware  of where one continent sits to the others.


These are some of the students working and of course, I had to do the group shots.  Best part of this activity......eating the finished product!  Little sloppy, but they did enjoy it!!  Some kids even saved their orange to take home and show their parents.
 One thing I did find out, some sharpies did not work as well as others.  You could also use a dark crayon in this activity.


No comments:

Post a Comment